Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Bellinzona

Last Wednesday Tom had the day off, so we made the most of it and took a day trip to the Italian- speaking part of Switzerland. To get there we had to go through the longest tunnel in Switzerland - 17km long! I'm sure it's nice in the winter, but I preferred the view outside of the tunnel!

When we got there we looked up a few important phrases in Italian since we didn't know a single word! We had to figure out the number 7 so that we could pay for our gas. Fortunately it's close to Spanish and seems much easier to pronounce in French, so we did alright.

The main attractions in Bellinzona are 3 very well restored castles: Castelgrande, Castello di Montebello and Castello di Sasso Corbaro. We enjoyed poking around each of them. I loved the fact that they fit into my stereotypical picture of what a castle should look like. The weather was great - sunny and hot! After lots of rain and chilly weather, it was a welcome change. We didn't have time to eat dinner there, which really disappointed me, but there's always next time!

A view of Castello di Corbaro (at the top), Castello di Montebello and some of the wall from Castelgrande.

Castlegrande (left) and Montebello. Tom and I climbed up to the highest towers in both castles.

4 comments:

Abbye said...

I'm so jealous! It looks like y'all had a great time :-D

Lisa said...

This looks really pretty. The pics remind me of a lot of the pictures you took when you were dating. You all haven't aged a day!

Stephanie said...

these are great pics and yes, very cool castles. i think you guys also look very happy to be getting some sunshine!

Cristina said...

I have to agree with everyone else... it looks like you two had a really fun time together between the castles and the camera - I love seeing the smiles :) I hope to post some pics soon of my place here so you can see...