Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Learning a "new" language

Tom and I just got back from our England trip on Sunday. Even though we were there just 10 days, I feel that I learned more "British" in that time than I have in my 1.5 years in French-speaking Switzerland! I thought I'd share my lessons for any who wish to learn as well :)

(Note: please forgive the grammatical errors, I didn't take the time to format everything properly...)

- Lovely: In American, we'd say good or great, maybe wonderful. As in, We're having a lovely time or after a meal one would say, That was lovely. Also used to describe an article of clothing, an event, a place, or anything else, really.
- Brilliant: See lovely.
- Pop: In American - to go somewhere real quick. As in, I'm going to pop to the store for some eggs. Or, I'm going to pop over to Cristina's.
- Loo: In American, bathroom. Often used with pop. As in, I'm going to pop to the loo. Also used: toilet, WC.
- Please/Thank you: Must be used at the end of each interchange between customer and service person.
Example Conversation (only slightly exaggerated)
Me: I'd like a cup of coffee, please.
Server: Of course, Thank you.
Me: Thank you.
...
Server: Here you are...Thank you.
Me: Thank you.
Server: Thank you.
...
Me: Can I have the check, please,
Server: Of course you can, thank you.
Me: Thank you.
Server: Thank you.

- Chips: In American: French fries. Often used as Fish and Chips - a traditional English meal of fried fish and french fries.
- Crisps: In American: Chips.
- Tube: The London subway system.
- Car Park: Parking lot.
- At the Weekend: Instead of "on the weekend."
- Quite: Used often with the phrase "a lot" or used in the place of very. As in, Quite a lot of people here today, aren't there?
- Pie: a traditional pub meal composed of a bottom and top crust with a cream sauce, meat and vegetables inside. Quite lovely.
- Pudding: Any sort of dessert, most often referring to cake type desserts. (Now I know why Figgy pudding is called what it is.)
- Black Pudding: You probably don't want to know, but in case you do, click here.
- The Weather: Commented on quite a lot.
- Dreadful: Used to describe the weather.
- Diabolical: Used to describe the weather.
- Awful: Used to describe the weather.
- Lovely: Though seldom the case, used to describe the weather.

So, now if you go to England, you'll have a head start on me and will be able to sound like a native in no time! We had a great trip (pictures to come soon), and I really enjoyed seeing a country and culture that was different, yet very similar to what I am accustom. It was also wonderful to be able to talk to people and communicate easily with them. I would definitely like to go back!

3 comments:

Lisa said...

I've always wanted to go to England! I'm glad you had a good time. Where did you go? What did you see? Are you going to post pictures? ;-)

Unknown said...

I'm glad you got to go. I loved Oxford and walking through the colleges. Another British term is biscuits=cookies.

Cristina said...

That is hilarious! And I kind of wish I hadn't looked up black pudding... gross. I can't wait for us both to pop on over to a Starbucks to hang out! It will be quite lovely.