Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Château de Chillon


Sunday we visited Château Chillon near Montreux - about 40 minutes from Fribourg. It was pretty neat. It's hard to imagine people building something like that 700 years ago. It was huge even by today's standards. I liked it because (as you can see from the picture) it was built for people my size - 5'2"! I didn't have to duck through any of the many doors and passage ways. Tom however (at 6'2") had to take care not to crack his head! I felt like the whole castle had been built with me in mind.

It took about 2 hours for us to walk through the whole castle. We saw the dungeon, great rooms, bathrooms, a chapel, ramparts, towers, the crypt, the keep and much more. The castle is built right on Lake Geneva, so all the rooms on the back side have an amazing view of the lake, the Alps and France in the distance. I protested against Tom bringing the tripod (I didn't want to look like a tourist) so our picture isn't the greatest. My protest was in vain, however, as everyone there was a tourist, so there was no hiding that fact, oh well :)

5 comments:

Andrea said...

i like the pics! the castle sounds pretty impressive!

Cristina said...

Hey, they did build that castle with you in mind, Katie :) I went with my family to Medieval Times for Rachel's birthday and we were noticing the armor was all made for shorter men too... I guess people used to be much shorter! Glad you finally got your stuff!

Stephanie said...

what a cool castle! instead of the door looking short, it just makes you look tall. :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Katie and Tom. Meg sent me your blog. The Swiss adventure sounds very exciting. I was nervous about moving to Florida, so I think you guys are very brave. I'm looking forward to reading all of your posts. :)

Lisa said...

Hi there Katie! It looks like you are having a good time. Are you homesick, much? How is Tom liking his job?